Carlos Costa, the governor of the Bank of Portugal, sent a letter on Monday to the parliamentary finance commission to clarify his position regarding the BES scandal, a commission MP told Lusa News Agency.
The news was reported by the online edition of the Expresso weekly paper, where Carlos Costa said he wants to “recall the truth” following a documentary on Portuguese TV channel SIC last week about the BES [Banco Espírito Santo] scandal, focussing on the actions of the central bank during the second half of 2013, when it was led by Costa.
“There are charges laid against the supervisor that distort the reality of what happened”, Mr Carlos Costa said in the letter quoted by Expresso.
Carlos Costa said in his missive that the reports “try to discredit the conduct of the Bank of Portugal and its supervisory role.”
The TV documentary said that Bank of Portugal experts had questioned the reputation of the former and now disgraced BES strong man, Ricardo Salgado, who has to be removed from power in 2013.
Expresso said the governor of the country’s central bank wants to clarify all the loose ends the documentary raises to defend confidence in the institution.